My Pet Ate Chocolate! What Do I Do?


Animals, from birds to horses, have a low tolerance for theobromine, the toxic chemical in chocolate. Chocolate also contains caffeine, another ingredient that most animals can't tolerate. Humans do better with these ingredients, mostly because we're larger and can metabolize them quicker and easier. Since many humans enjoy chocolate and keep it around the house, there is a chance that a pet might accidentally ingest it. If this happens, try following some of the advice listed below.

4 November 2014